Is Eyelid Surgery Right for You?
- Posted on: Jun 15 2016
As you age, your skin begins to lose its elasticity. This, coupled with gravity, can cause your skin to sag, including the skin surrounding your eyes. If you’re bothered by drooping upper lids and puffiness in your lower lids, or worse, if your vision is impaired due to sagging skin around your eyes, you may want to consider eyelid surgery (or blepharoplasty.) This procedure is an effective, simple surgery used to tighten your skin, smooth fine lines and wrinkles and create a more youthful, rested appearance.
About the Procedure
It takes about two hours to perform eye lift surgery if both the upper and lower eyelids are done together. While you’re under local (and in some cases general) anesthesia, your doctor will make an incision that follows the natural line of your lids, and then separate the skin from the tissue underneath to remove extra fat, skin and muscle. The incisions will then be closed with small stitches. For the lower eyelids, your doctor will either make an incision along the edge of the eyelash or cut inside the lower lid the remove excess fat. There will be some bruising and swelling post-surgery, which will subside in less than two weeks.
An eye lift may be right for you if you:
- are bothered by drooping eyelids and puffiness under your eyes
- have loose hanging skin that impairs your vision
- have dark circles under your eyes
- are in good physical shape
- are a non-smoker
- have realistic expectations about the procedure – you’re looking for improvement, not perfection
But not everyone is a good candidate for blepharoplasty. Blepharoplasty may not if right for you if:
- you have an eye infection or eye disease
- your eyebrows droop, as blepharoplasty could actually worsen this condition
- you have dry eye syndrome
- you are looking to remove crepe-paper type wrinkles, crow’s feet or dark circles under your eyes
- have a serious infection or illness such as Grave’s disease, hyper- or hipothyreoidism, or thyroid problems
Please click here to view before and after images of a blepharoplasty procedure. For more information about the benefits of blepharoplasty, contact Dr. Lalla today at 973-324-9455.
Posted in: Eyelid Surgery